Thursday 2 November 2017

Rule of COOL

So, three weeks later I have;
- been busy....again
- had a stinking cold for 10 days
- actually almost finished some Death Gaurd
- got my Death Gaurd scheme sorted in my head
- played a load of games!

Some of these things are better than others but I'm happy enough and more than comfortable with my more relaxed approach to TOYS.

With the Death Gaurd the two Hellbrutes and the Malignant Plaguecaster are all but done and just await final touches. Taking my time with them I'm now happy with the scheme and techniques to be employed so things should speed up from here on in.

A close combat squad of Plague Marines have been added and battle tested. Disgustingly lethal against vanilla Marines. I've also 90% settled on what I'm going to do for Poxwalkers and planned a fantastic Daemon Prince conversion. More about them later in the week.
Meanwhile the Dark Sphere X-Wing League has kicked me back into gear and got me trying out some different lists, generally featuring a whole lot of Guri, which will continue unabated post mega-nerf.

I've also been playing a fair bit more Armada, enjoying myself fabulously, which will be the vehicle for my musing......

Myself and former Nordics National Champion Nigel Gray have received entry been decrying the ever increasing race for activations via Flotilla spam. In short its a negative play experience but one that wins tournaments, and has been for some time. With Thrawn and two alternate ISDs spoiled I was frothing like a proper fan boy,  HUGE Thrawn fan. I was also interested in the option of twin ISDs.

Chatting in the car on the way home from plastic crack we felt that we were going to refuse to join Flotilla spam. On that basis if you're not going to compete for activations why not go completely the other way and make the most of it. We agreed that a tanky ISD was a prerequisite with support to taste. With London Masters hosted at Warboar this weekend just gone and Wayland's monthly event the week before we had our challenge.

Nigel went for a Victory II (Disposable Capacitors for long range punch) with an Ace-ball. I went elsewhere apeing the Motti ISD Bomber-ball tactic with a Quasar rather than triple Gozantis. Building the Quasar for purpose it could push 6 squadrons a turn with 4 Defenders, 4 Bombers and 2 Jumpmasters as the attack wing. The ISD was tanked to the max with a Damage Control Officer and Reinforced Blast Doors.

It appealed on multiple fronts as I've previously tried to make Bomber lists work and failed, who the hell flies a Quasar and two activations a turn is much easier on my brain across a day of Armada. Also, anti-meta seems to be a "thing" these days.

It's wasn't entirely pink and fluffy with a 24 point initiative bid and the intent to hit hard and then either run away for the win or mop up stragglers, given that 7-3 wins are also now a thing.
On the day we both had a lot of fun and held oir own going 2-2 for 23 and 24 points over four rounds. I had quite a few compliments on the list, as well as "that's brave", with some good post game analysis from interested parties.
First game I was indecisive and paid the price, second I tabled my opponents with the assistance of hot dice. Third I won 25-0 against double ISD with both of us scared of the other. Final round I only just list in round 6 having lead since the initial engagement.

Themes of the day;
- I gave up almost every mission by only having two ships / activations.
- Aggression paid dividends WHEN EMPLOYED CORRECTLY. Approach to initial engagement and target priority was key.
- Mid game Squadron orders on the ISD are strong.
- The anti- meta shock effect is strong
- Less decisions to make was helpful
- I really enjoy the list and it has legs

In short I had a great day. With more practice / better flying I can see myself running it for a while. Thrawn double ISD will be the next step. Minister Tua and Reinforced Blast Doors is effectively 11 hull with Motti.

Rule of Cool engaged! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment