Sunday 24 September 2017

Toxic Relationship?


Hello people,

Long time coming this one, in several different ways. As previously mentioned I've taken the plunge back into 40K with 8th Edition. GW and I had parted many years ago but I've been tempted back by Papa Nurgle.

With any break-up there's a period when you swear that you're not going back, ex's are ex's for a reason. You're moving on and so are they, you tell yourself. You tell other people that you're pleased that they're doing well, just as well as you.....obviously. As time passes you check in virtually, it's not stalking honest, and can admire at a distance relatively safely.

The issue really rears it's head when mutual friends mention them in passing. How they've moved on, how good they're looking, how they're new and improved......a new Edition...

And so it was that 8th Edition was mentioned to me, how it was more streamlined,  less power-cheese, more skirmish, more old school. Though we had turned our noses up at Age of Sigmar, whilst quietly applauding trying something different, as far more juvenile 4OK 8th was somehow retro. The memories of Rogue Trader through to 4th beckoned. Where Stormcast were ridiculous Primaris are cool x 2 and just look at the new Death Gaurd. Didn't you used to have Death Gaurd army? You'd have a great time putting together the new figures? Fancy swapping out a starter set??

So thats a double starter set plus a pair of Hellbrutes, a Rhino and a "spare" set of Plague Marines, E-Bay bargains all, later. With the Codex it made sense to pick up the cards and the plague-ridden dice are rule of cool. Ordering from my local store I ended upgrading to the collectors edition codex because it's just that bit sexier and I knew I'd be dissapointed with the standard one otherwise. Apparently time is my most finite resource these days but £72.50 still left a mark, though it was definitely the right call.

Currently everything but the "spare" marines and 20 Poxwalkers are built and thanks to a number of donations I've kit-bashed them all to individuality, a personal necessity. Painting has begun in earnest with a pre-highlight and wash scheme that I've not used before now approved. I've even play3dchalfa dozen games and rather enjoyed them. Things to unlearn but I particularly like the objective cards adding a random element. The game feels more brutal than I remember and though I'm sure power-cheese is more than possible I can see myself playing on a regular basis.

All on my own terms.....obviously ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment