Sunday 3 October 2010

Anatolian Plain?

No, not a bit of it though it does help if you like kebab!

I'm not going to bore you with infinite detail of our many visits to a number of Turkey's premier sites / sights but I do now know how to tell if an ancient wall was built by Greeks or Romans. An important life skill indeed.

What I have found interesting is how your allowed to clamber all over these sites. English Heritage would have a major eppy without a silk rope in sight and never mind the Health and Safety Executive!

Gallipoli was particuarly interesting as we visited with a couple of Aussies and Kiwis. Despite my knowledge of the actions involved I felt the need to respect thier more direct connection with events, as well as the Turks, finding the whole experience very evocative.

Additionally,I've learnt that Turkish soldiers refer to themselves as "Mehmets" and I'd likely to incorparate the term into the names for the Blood-Bowl team as a sign of respect.

Having done a lot of travel it's beach and pool for the next few days. Apparantly it's raining in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment